Card Data Security
We share our members concern about the recent loss of customer data by the U.S. retailer Target. This is a major issue for all cardholders and card issuers.
While there has been no confirmed fraudulent card transactions related to this data breach on our members accounts, Firefighters Credit Union is taking aggressive steps to prevent fraud, including:
- We have identified the cards included in the customer data loss.
- We are in the process of notifying members with compromised cards; these notices are being sent by Virtual Branch secure message and by mail.
- We have increased the security monitoring on all affected cards; our card processor is actively reviewing transactions using affected cards to quickly identify, and prevent, fraudulent transactions.
- We have ordered new cards (with new card numbers) for all affected cardholders; new cards should be received in approximately two weeks.
- Once new cards have been received and activated by cardholders, old cards will be cancelled; we will work closely with all cardholders to make this process as smooth as feasible.
While Firefighters Credit Union is making every effort to prevent fraud, we encourage members to do the following to further protect their accounts:
- Monitor their account activity closely; report any unusual transactions immediately to the credit union; members can use Virtual Branch to view their transactions regularly.
- Upon receipt of new cards, immediately sign the card and activate the new card and select a new PIN using the toll free number on the sticker attached to the card; once a new card is activated, destroy the old card.
- Memorize your PIN; NEVER write your PIN on your card on on anything else kept in your wallet.
Please remember that members are not responsible for fraudulent transactions on their account if the transactions are reported in a timely manner.
If you have further questions concerning our security measures to protect your data, please contact us at 801-487-3219 (or toll free at 877-658-7395).